Friday, August 19, 2011

Introduction



I love journalism. I think that journalists are needed to serve as government watchdogs and to inform the public. It is a nobel job.

That’s why I’m teaching this course.

Whether or not you choose to make journalism your career, you will learn important lessons from this class. It doesn’t matter where you work, you need to know how to write well. You need to know how to communicate an idea. You need to write so that you catch people’s attention. You will learn that in this course.

I have been a journalist for over 12 years. I worked at the STAR newspaper in Cambridge as the assistant editor until March of 2009. We covered all of Isanti County and half of Chisago County. My beats included Cambridge City Council, Isanti County Board, District 911 School Board and Harris City Council. Over the years, I had also covered Braham City and School, Rush CIty School and City Council, Isanti City and Chisago County Board. I've written for the Isanti County News, Twin Cities Daily Planet and Longfellow/Nokomis Messenger as a stringer. Over the years, I've written about crime and crashes, philanthropists and businesses. And I've told the stories of average, everyday people.

I earned several awards over the years for my work from the Minnesota Newspaper Association. Among them are Best Photo, Best Feature Story and Best Social Interest Story.

To view stories I wrote while working at the STAR and Isanti County News, go to
http://stories-i-tell.blogspot.com/

I have also written numerous stories and press releases for a variety of non-profits, including the Isanti County Historical Society and the Performing Arts Committee. In addition, I created the Isanti County Historical Society web site and regularly update it (www.ichs.ws).

I have been teaching at ARCC for five years.

I recently moved to Minneapolis from Cambridge, the town I grew up in. I am married to Jesse Pettit, a mechanical engineer, and I have a 2.5 year-old daughter named Joselyn. She's the apple of my eye.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails